Sugar, salt, sedentary jobs and the curse of the highly calorific ultra-processed ready meals are doing bad things to our waistline. The quest to try and stay at least at a healthy weight is becoming harder and harder. Our Great Grannies and Grandads had, for the most part, physically demanding jobs that kept them on their feet. They also had rationing of sweet things or they could not even afford them in the first place. The most exciting pudding they could look forward to was jelly or a blancmange. They may have struggled to get some decent mindfulness care, that has improved but their sexual health was virtually non-existent. The phrase “no sex please, we’re British” was coined around the early twentieth century, a continuation of the Victorian values the century before. Luckily it’s not something that we are so embarrassed to discuss now or consider caring for especially when there are Home StI Kits London available from providers such as www.bexleysexualhealth.org/home_sti_kits. What can we do to start looking after ourselves better?
- Stop Smoking. The Government has begun the laudable ideal target of making Britain a non-smoking nation by 2030. This will be a huge saving to the NHS but a bit of a hit to the exchequer in taxes. Stopping now if you do will immediately have a positive health benefit within the first few weeks.
- Eating more fruit and vegetables. So much has been made of this already but it can’t be over state enough. A potato is not a vegetable so no matter how many chips you eat it doesn’t count. Broccoli and Cabbage may not sound exciting but look at ways to make them more interesting, there are so many recipes out there.
- Cut back on the booze. Alcohol is not your friend. It is loaded with calories, wine, despite the fact it is made out of grapes is not a fruit juice. The only thing that you can safely drink is water and were apparently not drinking enough of that either.
- Get some good walks in. It might not burn the pounds as much as running but it will add you mental as well. A good walk in the countryside or even taking in some of the city’s architecture can do wonders for the state of you mind as well.
- Exercise in general. You don’t have to spend the day sat down. There are standing desks available; many of us are finding a renewed energy throughout the day.
Little steps will result in big changes.